Building and demolition work normally requires the use of a lot of heavy machinery and equipment, and sometimes involves some serious changes to the site it’s being carried out on. This can include the removal of a lot of soil, existing slabs or footings and possibly trees. Sometimes it also involves knocking down parts of an existing structure.

Even if it’s carefully managed, this sort of work has the potential to cause damage to adjoining or adjacent houses or other nearby infrastructure.

Above and beyond the requirements for the protection of adjoining properties, you may also need to arrange to have special reports undertaken on the state of nearby buildings.

What is a dilapidation report?

A dilapidation report is a report on the condition of a property at a given point in time. It records any existing damage, and the state of any particular aspects of the property that are likely to be affected by construction work, excavation or demolition.

These reports are normally carried out on nearby properties both before work begins, and after it’s finished. Comparing the two reports offers a clear picture of any damage that might have occurred as a result of building, excavation or demolition work.

What does a dilapidation report include?

Dilapidation reports are normally carried out by experienced building consultants, who have a good understanding of the aspects of a house or property that are likely to be affected by nearby works, and who know exactly what to look for.

Dilapidation reports typically include things like notes, measurements, photographs and diagrams which give an accurate picture of the state of the buildings being inspected, and are normally signed by both the owner of the property being inspected, and the party having construction work done.

Do I need dilapidation reports?

Whether or not these reports are necessary will come down to where your building is situated in relation to other buildings, and what the authorities in your area require. Even if they’re not required by law for the work you’re doing though, dilapidation reports can help protect you against litigation if neighbours claim that your construction or demolition work has damaged their homes.

If you need more information about whether dilapidation reports are required, ask your builder or contact your local building authority.

My experience with Adam was excellent. Very happy with the high quality and comprehensive structural report. So worth the wait, despite any delays in returning calls…after all, when you’re that good, it’s very hard to keep up with demand. Adam has literally saved me $20K and I am full of gratitude for his in-depth knowledge and expertise in structural engineering. Highly recommend.

Fiona - Seaford - VIC
Dilapidation Reports

Get in contact with us now, to see how we can help you.

Contact us today